Following successful delivery of Augustine’s Courtyard and 31GGS Phase 2 in 2018, J4 has continued their close working relationship with the Capital Projects Office at University of Bristol to complete the refurbishment of 1-5 Whiteladies Road.
The University recently acquired 1-5 Whiteladies Road, which was originally three attached houses constructed in 1858. The building has received many different uses over its time and was formally listed as Grade II in 1977.
The overall building is laid over four floors and still retains many of its original features, including bath/ ashlar stonework to the front elevation complete with dressed stone features including plinth, quoins, stone soffit and bracelet eaves details. Internally, the building retains all three feature staircases complete with ceiling mouldings, roses and cornice details.
The building will used by staff, lecturers and researchers from the Bristol Medical School, Population Health Sciences, Health Economics Bristol and Academic Child Health, together with Under- and Post-Graduate students studying in these fields. It will provide much needed space to alleviate the congestion at their existing accommodation at Oakfield House and Canynge Hall with their ever-expanding team and teaching courses being offered.
1-5 Whiteladies Road will provide:
- Three modern seminar teaching rooms fitted with the latest teaching technology;
- Three meeting rooms equipment with a Surface Hub or screens;
- 80+ workstations over three floors;
- Kitchen and breakout social space;
- Secure undercover bike store for 40 cycles
Capital Projects Office are moving 60+ staff during July ready for the start of the 2018/19 Academic year.
- 1,200m2 of floor area over 4 floors
- On site refurbishment works completed in 4 months
- Challenges with working on an existing building with limited information
- £1.5m project budget